Friday, May 26, 2023

BEDWORTH UNITED RESERVES 1 - 1 LEAMINGTON UNDER 23's (4-5 PENS)

 


MIDLAND FOOTBALL LEAGUE, RESERVE DIVISION

CHALLENGE TROPHY FINAL

The Oval, Miners Welfare Park, Coventry Road, Bedworth, CV12 8NN

20th May 2023           1:00 pm Kick-Off


Today I had to put a Plan B in place after finding out on Friday afternoon that I have been refused permission to take photos at the upcoming Birmingham County FA, Saturday Vase Final between Sutton United and Knowle. I knew that they had an official photographer in place but still I couldn't take photos just for this Blog. So I quickly looked at what fixtures are available and decide the Challenge Trophy Final for the reserve teams of the MFL is the one to go for.

On Saturday morning I get to New Street train station in time for the train to Coventry but then find out that as it's a London bound train it's been cancelled due to a shortage of drivers. I get on the next Coventry (London) bound train 15 minutes later and soon find out that there's no seats available. Aaarghh!

Blood pressure rising and when I look at the Train Departure screen again the next Coventry train is.......CANCELLED!!! What the f...!!!

Luckily the 10:47 pm train is OK and I board it quickly to get a seat. 

I get to Coventry, no problem but when I arrive I find out that the next train to Bedworth is leaving in 30 minutes. Not great seeing as it's just about 7-8 miles away.

I decide to eat early to save time and pop into a cafe just outside the station, for a panini and coffee.

When I eventually get the Bedworth train, I find that I'm sitting close to some young Leamington supporters who are going to the match. They are in good spirits, singing and drinking cider and they have a few club flags with them. I'm sure they are hoping that their Under-23's will bag a trophy today to help make up for the disappointment of their first team's recent relegation from the National League North.

When arriving in Bedworth I walk the short distance into the town centre, buy myself a chocolate ice cream and saunter down to the Miner's Welfare Park on this fine sunny May day.   

I have been to this ground on 2 previous occasions, both times to see the senior men's team and I think it's a neat stadium. I pay my entrance fee and decide to stand at the southern end of the ground. To my left is where the club house is situated and opposite this are located the team dug-outs and and the large main stand. In this stand, in the end nearest to me and at the back, the young 'Leamington Ultras' are singing away and also I notice there are plenty of Leamington FC banners and flags tied to the perimeter fencing. A very colourful display.


When the 2 teams come on to the pitch, they are both decked out in their usual first team colours. 'The Greenbacks' of Bedworth in an all green strip and 'The Brakes' of Leamington in gold & black.

There is a good sized crowd today, being helped by the sizeable Leamington away support.


Bedworth have done a league double over their opponents this season and will looking to make it a hat-trick.

The home side create a chance in the 13th minute when a cross from the left is headed by their No.9 but it's well saved by Ethan Pheasey  the Leamington keeper.

10 minutes later and the Bedworth keeper is called in to action to save at the feet of an incoming Leamington player.


In the 33rd minute, 'The Greenbacks' No.19 has a shot blocked resulting in a corner and Pheasey saves a header from this.

Defences have been on top for most of this half in an even contest so far and it's looking as if one goal might be enough to win this game when the players troop off at half-time.

There are 2 other photographers in action today and a young guy who's taking photos for Leamington tells me that he is the official photographer for Brackley Town FC. He says he knows some of the people at the club and has agreed to cover their game today.

Bedworth's photographer is a local guy who takes photos at some of the club's in the area, like the Bulkington Poppys, who play in the Coventry Alliance.

The second half gets underway and it's the visitors who are starting to boss the game. After just 2 minutes sees their No.10 hit a shot over the bar.

Bedworth's No.19 threatens again when he races in to head the ball but just fails to connect from close range.

It's Leamington who deservedly break the deadlock when their defender, No.16, Ben Scharzmann heads in a cross from the right.


Leamington create a couple more chances and then Bedworth start pressing them back and are rewarded for their efforts in the 82nd minute when their N0.14 is put through to take it past the keeper and stroke the ball home in to the unguarded net.

That's how the score stays at the final whistle and the games going to be decided straight away with a penalty shoot out. After 5 penalties, both sides have missed one and then after Leamington score their 6th penalty, the Leamington keeper and captain Ethan Pheasey saves the next Bedworth kick at the foot of his right hand post.



A great save and this sparks celebrations by both the players and fans.



The cup is duly awarded to the Young Brakes and they pose for plenty of photos by their fans.


I'm glad I came to this match today as it was a good close contest with Leamington raising their game to win this trophy, no doubt inspired by the vocal support of their young fans.

There were some players on both sides who I'm sure will be getting some game time with their first teams soon.





Entrance Fee:                     £7 (£4 concessions)
Match Attendance:           Approximately 150
Match Programme:          None available
Entertainment Value:      7.5/10


 


   

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

  SMEDLEY CROOKE MEMORIAL CHARITY CUP  FINAL  Trico Stadium, Sallie Swan Street, Redditch, B97 4AU 27th May 2023,   1:00 pm Kick-Off I'm...