Monday, March 6, 2023

WRENS NEST 1 - 0 ALLSCOTT HEATH

 


WEST MIDLANDS LEAGUE , DIV ONE LEAGUE CUP

QUARTER-FINAL

Dudley Sports F.C., Hillcrest Avenue, Brierley Hill, DY5 3QJ

4th March, 2023       3:00 pm Kick-Off


I have plans to visit Coleshill Town today, as they are pushing for a play-off place in the Northern Premier League, Central Division this season. Also they have not been on my radar at all since I moved back to the West Midlands 17 months ago. The only time I went to their ground at Packwood Lane, was 10 years ago.

Unfortunately when I get to Acocks Green rail station I can see on the information screen that my train to New Street station has been cancelled, which means that I will miss my bus connection to Coleshill. Rats!! I decide to get a coffee and a breakfast sandwich at a nearby cafe and while I'm there I check which games I can get to by travelling on the Black Country rail line. At first I think about going to see OJM Black Country Rangers v Ashby Ivanhoe at Lye Town but then decide to go to Stourbridge from where I can easily reach Brierley Hill by bus and go and see Wrens Nest v Allscott Heath in their League Cup quarter-final game.

When I finally get the train, the journey goes without a hitch and I also straight away catch the shuttle service to Stourbridge Town, after reaching the Stourbridge Junction station. In the town centre I have another coffee at a cafe I have never noticed before and then after browsing in a few shops, catch the No.6, Dudley bound bus and get off just before it reaches Brierley Hill centre and walk to the nearby Dudley Sports football ground.


This is a ground that Wrens Nest currently share with the hosts, a ground where I saw Dudley Sports beat Shawbury United 3-2 in a very entertaining match some 9-10 years ago.

I walk though the car park and turn left to the entrance where a friendly lady is taking the entrance fees. She tells me, pointing to the buildings on the other side of the pitch that I can ask permission to take my match photos from one of the officials there. When reaching the said building, which also houses Kate's Snack Bar, I ask the Club Secretary, Malcolm Guy, about the photos and he says that it will be no problem.

I make my way to the nearby pitch and decide to start taking photos from this side of the ground that sits opposite the Joe Forrest stand, which looks like it has room for about 40 seated spectators.

The teams soon make their way on to the pitch with Wrens Nest in their orange shirts, blue shorts & blue socks. Allscott Heath (from near Telford), are decked out in green & black striped shirts, green shorts & socks. 

This match is looking to be a free flowing one with both teams looking to attack at every opportunity. After 15 minutes the visitors go close with an in-swinging corner from the right, which the Wrens keeper, Ryan Lees manages to punch away to safety.

A few minutes later the visitors are exerting some considerable pressure on the home defence, with their No.9 Armando Wood proving to be a real handful, with his ability to go past defenders.


The Wrens Nest defence manage to keep the visitors at bay with some stout defending from a series of corners.

The visitors best chance later falls to Armando Wood who mishits his shot from a good position and it goes wide.

For the remainder of this half it's the home side who fashion the best chances, with their No.11 hitting the bar with a shot from close in.


After 40 minutes Ryan Lees nearly gives away a goal when his mistake allows the Allscott Heath No.11 to get the ball but his hurried shot is blazed over the bar.

Half-time arrives which somehow sees the game still goalless. It's certainly been an entertaining one so far though!   

Wrens Nest who currently sit in 6th place in the West Midlands Div 1 have not been overawed by their free scoring title chasing opponents today. Allscott Heath who have games in hand on the 2 teams above them in this division have also just this week, booked their place in the Final of the Shropshire County Challenge Cup after defeating Dawley Town.

When play resumes it's the visitors who are looking the more dangerous and Ryan Lees is well placed to make a save following a corner to keep them out.


After both sides go close it's the home team who finally open the scoring when their N0.10, Alex Pinches drills the ball home into the right hand corner of the net in the 68th minute. A few minutes before and I'd been thinking that this game would probably end up being scoreless!

Wrens Nest have the best scoring chances in the last part of the match even though Allscott Heath do exert some pressure, with their  No.19 giant substitute, being a threat both in the air and with his long throw-ins.


The match ends with the home side deservedly going through to the semi-final of this competition after this gutsy display. The Allscott Heath dangerman, Armando Wood, was kept relatively quiet in the 2nd half and Wrens Nest could have doubled their score before the end.

Allscott Heath still have the league title to go for plus that County Cup final too.


Match Attendance:          30 approximately

Entrance Fee:                   £5  (£3 concessions) 

Match Programme:         none available 

Match Entertainment:    8/10


 

    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

  SMEDLEY CROOKE MEMORIAL CHARITY CUP  FINAL  Trico Stadium, Sallie Swan Street, Redditch, B97 4AU 27th May 2023,   1:00 pm Kick-Off I'm...