Monday, March 7, 2022

RUSHALL OLYMPIC 1 - 2 BANBURY UNITED


      SOUTHERN LEAGUE, PREMIER DIVISION CENTRAL

            Dales Lane, Rushall, Walsall, West Midlands, WS4 1LJ
                    5th March, 2022         3:00 pm  Kick-Off

I had earmarked the fixture I am attending today, for a probable visit three weeks ago. Rushall Olympic who have been in great form since the new year and who are currently in second place are hosting the runaway leaders of the Premier Div Central in the Southern League, Banbury United. I have seen 'The Pics' of Rushall Olympic, twice in the past while I have watched 'The Puritans' of Banbury United, just once at their own Spencer Ground about 12 years ago. 

Rushall is a former mining village that is now a part of the town of Walsall and their football team although being formed initially in the late 19th century, have only seriously started to rise up the ranks of the Non-League pyramid in the last 20 years. 

Banbury United were formed in 1931 under the name of Spencer Sports Club (as they were the works team of the Spencer Corsets factory) and were only named 'Banbury United' in 1965 after being known as 'Banbury Spencer' for many years.

I leave it relatively late to travel by train to Walsall, have a meal of fish & chips at a cafe near the bus station and then catch the No. 997 bus which takes me to just outside the ground. After I pay my entrance fee at the turnstile, I can see that there should be a decent sized crowd for this game, as there are plenty of Banbury supporters around the ground.

I take my place at the far end of the ground, so that the sun is behind me. To my right behind the goal is a sizeable contingent of United fans and they are in fine voice too.

The 2 teams come out on to the pitch accompanied by a fanfare of some dramatic music. There is also a minutes silence called over the tannoy system for someone, maybe a former player or official at this club and also to acknowledge the current conflict in the Ukraine but then everyone is encouraged to clap their hands. 

When the match starts, it proceeds to be action packed with Rushall taking the lead after just 5 minutes. Ben Usher-Shipway is sent down the right and his pass finds Rackeem Reid who although bundled to the ground in the ensuing melee and with the ball tucked up behind his right knee, somehow still manages to poke the ball home. I think he must have managed to get his left foot underneath the ball.


It's a goal, whichever way it's scored and it's a great start for the home team.

The league leaders have other ideas though and duly equalise just 3 minutes later. Their speedy No.9, Chris Wreh, is put through on goal but is foiled by a desperate tackle. The ball goes loose to the No.20 Jack Stevens who places the ball past the Rushall keeper, Tom Palmer.


It's a thrilling start to the game and makes me wonder if we are going to be treated to a goal feast today?

There is a chill wind blowing across the pitch even though we have plenty of sunny spells and it's not long before I have to put my gloves on.

I am pleased to see Tom Thorley playing at No.4 for Rushall today, as in the past he played for my home town team of Worcester City. He was always a very dependable player for us and he looks to be in good form today, helping to keep the ball moving around and switching the play to probe any spaces in the visitor's defence.

There are chances created at both ends, especially when Wreh goes past a few Rushall players on a good run but there is no further score in the this first period.

I notice that there is a photographer at the left side of the pitch to me and I think it might be a guy called Steve Walker, who now takes photos for Rushall and is well known for his work in Non-League circles.

I decide to move across to near where he is standing, for another view of the pitch and I have the misguided idea that it might be there warmer too but no such luck on that score.

The second half proves to be a close affair too and 'The Puritans' take the lead after 58 minutes when it's their danger man Wreh who volleys home when the home team aren't able to clear the ball.


    (Some of the Banbury United fans celebrating their teams 2nd goal)

Although the Banbury fans are understandably very excited by events on the field, there is no excuse for someone throwing on a smoke flare just behind the Rushall goal. It had happened before after the first Banbury goal and just before the start of the second half too.

These events don't spoil the good footballing contest that is taking place today and 'The Pics' threaten the visitor's goal on a few occasions.  


Their substitute Tyler Little, who has scored 11 goals so far this season, is the closest to scoring an equalising goal near the end with an effort just going wide of the post.


Also I'm pleased to see another Rushall substitute come on to the pitch, who happens to be another ex City player, a striker called Danny Glover. He didn't stay at the club as long as Tom Thornley but did score plenty of goals in his one full season with the club.

Despite the best efforts of 'The Pics' the match ends with yet another victory for 'The Puritans' of Banbury and on the balance of play, probably they just about deserved it but they have been pushed all the way, in an absorbing contest for all the fans.

Banbury United look assured for promotion while Rushall Olympic will have to fight all the way to acheive 2nd place, especially with Coalville breathing down their necks.

I'm very glad I came to this match and I hope that the remaining games I see this season, will be as good as this one.


 
Entrance fee:             £10,  (£7 concession)
Match programme:     £2.50
Match attendance:      626
Entertainment value:  9/10 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

  SMEDLEY CROOKE MEMORIAL CHARITY CUP  FINAL  Trico Stadium, Sallie Swan Street, Redditch, B97 4AU 27th May 2023,   1:00 pm Kick-Off I'm...