Monday, November 8, 2021

EDGBASTON SPARTANS 1 - 1 WELLINGTON AMATEURS DEVELOPMENT

 


   WEST MIDLANDS REGIONAL LEAGUE, DIVISION 2

  TSA Sports Ground, Eckersall Rd, Kings Norton, Birmingham, B38 8SR

                                  06/11/2021      2pm K.O.


I had planned to go to Derby again for a match but a look on my weather app put me off as it indicates rain there this afternoon. Instead I am staying in Birmingham and ticking off my first West Midlands League game for this Blog.

In the four years since I was last here in the West Midlands, there have been many clubs moving over from this league to be incorporated in to the Midlands Football League and I have been wondering what the future holds for this historic competition?

Anyhow I want to go to a game with an earlier kick-off time and so I have plumped for the 2nd Division home game of the splendidly named 'Edgbaston Spartans', who I find play at an old haunt of mine, the TSA Sports Ground, formerly the home of the now defunct Pilkington XXX and then Cadbury Athletic. I used to occasionally take photos for Pilkington for their programme but it looks as if they may have disbanded in 2017.

My journey by train to Kings Norton goes as planned and I give myself enough time to get a snack at a local cafe in nearby Cotteridge before setting off for the 20 minute walk to the ground. I am feeling a bit more optimistic about the weather as the sun has come out now and again this morning.

When I get to the ground, some of the home side players have been limbering up but there don't seem to be many spectators about and there is no-one to take money for the entrance fee. I stand by the goal at the changing room end of the ground and I ask a guy (whose face I saw on the website) if it's OK to take photos? He turns out to be the young Chairman of the club, Giani Ntente and he tells me yes that's fine. He informs me that The Spartans are a very new club (formed in 2020) and so this will be their first full proper season in action.

A bit later, another guy comes over and tells me that the entrance fee is £3 and when I pay up I get a match ticket! I later find out that he is the friend of Giani and co-founder of the club, Dimitros Ampatzidis.

The match starts a bit later than planned, with Edgbaston taking to the field in a red and white strip while Wellington are in blue and white. It looks as if Wellington have mainly young players with a few older hands thrown in.

In the early minutes it's the hosts who start off on the front foot and have several attacks on the Wellington goal but then the visitors start to launch attacks of their own and are the more dominant team in this half.


Their generally younger's players speed is causing The Spartans defence some problems and they take the lead after 18 minutes with a scrappy goal. They have a corner from the right and the Edgaston keeper and one of his fellow defenders get in each others way and the ball drops for Lewington to stab home from close in.


15 minutes later and Wellington break away when they get the ball from a Spartans corner and their No.20 shoots across goal while under pressure from a defender and sees his shot drift just wide of the right hand post.

Half-time arrives with the visitors still a goal to the good and Edgbaston will have to up their game to win this match. Both teams find themselves both near the foot of this division and have plenty to play for in the next 45 minutes.

During the first-half a spectator asks me if I can send him some photos that feature his son, Elliott Hadley and I agree to this. It turns out that he needs some photos for his portfolio as he is looking to take up a sports scholarship at a College in the U.S.A. and he is funding it himself.

When the teams come out for the second period I notice that the weather is not improving and because of the dwindling light levels I give up on taking any more photos for today. Indeed for the last 25 minutes I take shelter in the stand when it starts to rain.

An unfortunate incident takes place after just 6 minutes when the young No.11, Souleiman Adamu I think, for Spartans bursts through the middle on goal to be met by the on-rushing Wellington keeper and comes out 2nd best from the collision and eventually has to hobble off the field. A shame as he looks to be a useful player and I hope he recovers quickly.

This half sees an improvement from The Spartans and it's much more of a contest now.


The home side equalise in the 58th minute when a great through ball sends Eddie Foweather through to slot home. 

It's a very competitive game now with the play switching from end to end.


Both sides go close to scoring again and at one point I think Wellington have got the winner when one of their defenders has a header that seems destined for the right side of the Spartans goal only for it to be cleared. 

In the last few minutes Wellington finish the stronger but cannot get that 2nd goal. It ends 1-1 and I think that's a right result. Edgbaston showed great character to come back strongly and will hope to build on that.

I am glad I came to this game and it's good to see this ground still being used. I find out later that the 'Spartans' part of the club's name is due to the Greek connection as the co-founders Messers, Ntente and Ampatzidis both hail from that country and only started the club in January last year. I would have realised quicker maybe if they had been named something like 'Edgbaston Olympiakos' or AEK Edgbaston !

They are promoting the Greek and Cypriot sporting community and are also busy developing players from different cultural backgrounds. That's good to see and I wish them well in this venture.

Wellington played well and seem to have to some good young talent coming through.


 
Match Attendance:         Approx 30
Entrance Fee:                           £3
Entertainment Level:              7/10 
Match Programme:  None Available     
 

  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

  SMEDLEY CROOKE MEMORIAL CHARITY CUP  FINAL  Trico Stadium, Sallie Swan Street, Redditch, B97 4AU 27th May 2023,   1:00 pm Kick-Off I'm...