Thursday, September 16, 2021

STUDLEY 2 - 0 PAGET RANGERS

         F.A. VASE, 1ST QUALIFYING ROUND, 11-09-2021

       The Beehive, Abbeyfields Drive, Studley, Warwickshire, B80 7BF


Today heralds the start of the FA Vase, my favourite cup competition and I have decided to venture to a new ground, 'The Beehive' ground of Studley FC, who now play in the 1st Division of the Hellenic Football League, after moving over from the Midland Football League. Their opponents are the Birmingham team of Paget Rangers, a club well known in local circles and who have been in existence since 1938.

I have thought of coming here before but had considerations on the difficulties of getting here by public transport. It wasn't getting here but going back that I was worried about but when I checked on the West Midlands transport site, I found out that there were plenty of buses going back to Redditch, from where I would be catching the train back to Birmingham. No problems then! 

So I catch the No.57 Diamond Bus from Redditch town centre, after having a snack in the nearby Kingfisher shopping centre and 15 minutes later I am getting off the bus at Washford Mill. After rushing across the busy road I walk over to Abbeyfields Drive where the club is situated.

The ground is right at the northern end of this large village. This club has come a long way since their humble Sunday League bow in 1971 and have won the Worcestershire Senior Urn 5 times and have got to the last 16 in the FA Vase in 2004. 

They have a nice spacious club house with a bar and 2 big screens for the televised football, where I watch the replay of the 3 Crystal Palace goals against Spurs in this morning's Premiership game.

Also I notice that there are promotional materials for the Solihull Moors team and I later find out that Solihull have bought the place and use the facilities for training purposes.

I'm glad it's a nice sunny day as I realise that there is no cover by the pitch and indeed no seating. The main (artificial) pitch is accessed by walking between the other 2 (grass) pitches.

I pay the entrance fee at the table sat before the main pitch and there is a programme too. I'm told by someone from the club that they are looking to have a stand erected within 4 weeks time.  

I saw Studley play for the 1st time in July and it was a pre-season friendly at Racing Club Warwick. Although they lost 1-2, they should have got at least a draw that day. On that basis I think they could win today's encounter.

The 2 teams are in their usual colours, Studley in sky blue shirts and dark blue shorts,white socks. Paget in their, amber and black striped shirts, black shorts, amber socks.

For the first 15 minutes of play, it's very like the game I saw at Bedworth last week, with the home side dominating the play and looking dangerous whenever they attack.


  Again like last week, the home team score after 5 minutes and they do it through a spot kick, awarded when one of their players is brought down on the right side of the penalty box. This is dispatched by their No.11, who has been making threatening runs down the left.

A few minutes later and the same player heads over the bar following a long throw in from the right.

Sustained pressure from 'The Bees' results in a 2nd goal after their No.5 flicks in a neat glancing header inside the far post, from a left-hand corner.

  (Paget's Ryan Kimberley, takes the ball away from this Studley forward)

Paget do start to get back in to the game and near the end of the 1st half, their No.2 goes on a good run, passes to their No.9 but at the vital moment he loses his footing and his attempted shot, scoops harmlessly in to the arms of the Studley keeper.   

So The Bees are 2 goals to the good at the break but there are possible signs of Paget making a game of it after the interval.

During half-time, a guy asks me if I'm a pro photographer and when I say no, he says 'Ah, so you are a groundhopper then'. This makes me laugh as my bag is a bit of a give away.

It turns out that he has come all the way from Swindon, as Studley is one of the new Hellenic club grounds he had yet to go to. He has been 'hopping' himself for around 45 years and counting. We chat for the rest of the interval and the 2nd half too, as we exchange knowledge of the clubs we have seen. He also confesses to being a fan of Rochdale Athletic and is even a club shareholder!

In the 2nd half, Paget do get in to the game more but despite having more possession this time around, don't create too many clear cut chances. Their most dangerous player is forward, Rivel Mardenborough, shown in the photo below.


  Their best effort is comes after 74 minutes minutes when their No.10 has a shot pushed on to the post by The Bees goalkeeper.

Also later on their No.16, hits a shot in to the side netting after a good run down the left.

Studley go close to adding to their tally right near the end but it ends with them still leading 2-0.

So the home side are through and all in all, I'm glad I finally made a visit to The Beehive and I hope the club are able to erect their new stand soon, as they will need it I'm sure with the autumn and winter months coming ahead.


Match attendance.......60 (approximately)

Entrance fee..............£ 6

Match programme......£2

Entertainment value...7/10



No comments:

Post a Comment

  SMEDLEY CROOKE MEMORIAL CHARITY CUP  FINAL  Trico Stadium, Sallie Swan Street, Redditch, B97 4AU 27th May 2023,   1:00 pm Kick-Off I'm...